What We Do
Bin Twinning is helping to fund sustainable projects that are being set up to collect people’s rubbish, dispose of it safely, recycle as much as possible and promote waste reduction. You can help save lives and protect the planet by twinning a bin.
How it works
Twin for £45
For a £45 donation, you can twin your bin with a community-led social enterprise that is collecting household rubbish and selling recycled waste.
Get a sticker
Your kitchen compost bin, waste bins or outside wheelie bin can become the proud owner of a Bin Twinning sticker, with a photo of the eco project you’re twinned with.
Bin Twinning funds the work of international relief and development agency Tearfund. Your donation will help prevent disease, protect the environment and provide jobs.
Why we do it?
- 2 billion people don’t have their rubbish collected (UNEP).
- In developing countries, one person dies every 30 seconds from diseases caused by plastic pollution and rubbish (Tearfund).
- Mismanaged waste causes up to a million deaths each year (Tearfund).
- At least a third of the world’s waste is subject to open dumping or burning. Open burning releases smoke and toxins estimated to cause 270,000 deaths globally each year (Word Bank; Tearfund).
- Living among mismanaged waste doubles the chance of getting a diarrhoea-related disease (UN Habitat).
- It’s estimated that between 8 and 12.7 million tonnes of plastic could be entering the oceans every year.
- The World Bank estimates global waste will increase by 70% to an annual figure of 3.4 billion tonnes by 2050. (World Bank).
- Waste in sub-Saharan Africa is expected to more than triple by 2050 (World Bank).
- In low-income countries, more than 90% of waste is mismanaged (World Bank).
- Uncollected waste ends up in waterways and drains, causing flooding that spreads disease and wreaks havoc on the lives of the world’s poorest people.
Inside waste bin
If you twin an inside bin, you could choose Pakistan and receive a small A7 sticker for something like a worktop composting bin (below left). If you twin with a larger inside bin such as a pedal bin, you could twin with Haiti and receive a medium A6 sticker (below right)
Outside wheelie bin
If you twin your external wheelie bin, recycling bin or garden waste bin, we’ll send you an A5 sticker featuring a photo of a plastics-recycling project in Uganda. And if you give us your house number, we will send you the number stickers so you can add those to your Bin Twin and give it a personalised touch! (We do not offer alphabet stickers, so if you live in a home without a number, we’ll send you a sticker without this feature.)